Nail Fun is all about having fun with your nails. Layering it, splattering it, making pretty patterns with it … it’s the most fun you can have on your own with a child in the house !! J
BIRTHDAY PURPLE WATER MARBLE !!!
I have been in awe of the girls who can water marble for yonks! Blame Colette at My Simple Little Pleasures oh and also blame Christina at Let Them Have Polish too for her recent Bettina excellent marble.
I tried it once, a couple of months ago. I ended up with a big splodgy mess and only did 1 nail, and it took FOREVER to dry, so in typical Crumpet fashion, I abandoned (I don’t tend to persevere with things I can’t master lol).
For my birthday, I wanted to do something special, and after the great Galaxy fail, (plus the addition of a bank holiday weekend) decided I had enough time to give it another go.
And here it is –
I am DELIGHTED. It’s not perfect. You can clearly see through the pics that the nails get better the more I practice ha ha. I love some more than others (obviously) but oh my god IT’S PURPLE and I love it !!
Things you need to know –
- I used a base coat of OPI Planks A Lot
- I marbled with OPI Planks A Lot, CG Let’s Groove (the dark one, doesn’t it look wowser), Sally Hansen Lacey Lilac and Model’s Own Purple Ash (the slightly browny one)
- I really can’t decide whether Purple Ash was genius or catastrophe. It’s a warm brown based purple, unlike the other 3 which are cold colours. This makes it the odd one out and it clearly doesn’t work with the other 3. However, in a couple of the nails it adds a crazy paisley psychedelic effect which I love. Hmmmm
- The Beth Factor – my amazing daughter helped. She was fascinated, and she was an excellent stick twizzler and tape ripper offer
- The Beth Factor – my amazing daughter hindered. She was NOT a good blob dropper, ripped a few bulls eyes AND capsized the water bowl lol. But we still had fun J
- Blowing on the water helps – whilst you have your nail immersed, blow on the water til the excess varnish starts to wrinkle – this makes it MUCH easier to candy floss on to your stick
- Bubbles – I ended up with a few bubbles – anyone know why ?
- The patience of patterning. At first I was quite hesitant with the patterns, which is why the first couple of nails are basically swirls. The better designs definitely come with more confidence and more decisive strokeplay
- Have plenty of tissues nearby to soak up the worst of the mess
my favourite nail of all - right thumb
So, not perfect, but super happy anyway. Even better, I am now excited to do more marbles. I just need to train the daughter a bit more first! Lol.
Have fun J and let me know if you have picked up any other great marble hints, tips and tricks.