Today's mani is such a contradiction of thoughts, it's untrue!
When I think of Geeks, the first thing I think of is Trekkies, and the conventions in the US. For whatever reason, they seem more geeky than the Star Wars fans, or the Lost fans or the X Philes ...
So yeah, I don't even LIKE Star Trek (although I did like the recent film reboot) and yet I'm doing a Star Trek mani. Why? Well, 2 reasons. 1, it seemed a ridiculously easy fallback mani, in case any of my other ideas sucked (they do, just you WAIT for Thursday and Friday lol) and 2, it was an excuse to wear OPI Can't Find MY Czechbook again, and I don't need asking twice to do that!
And ironically, it's actually one of my favourite manis of the week, and a great reminder of the impact of simplicity. Sometimes less is so so more (a concept I struggle to grasp in ALL areas of my life, not just polish).
So, some geeky facts about Star Trek and this mani -
* Uhuru's uniform had a different neckline :) very swish! (ring finger)
* Star Trek featured the first ever inter-racial kiss - between Spock and Uhuru
* Gene Roddenberry created the show as a "western in outer space" - what a cool concept!
* Roddenberry planted political messages within his plots, promoting peace, and learning from the lessons of the past
* the original show only aired for 3 seasons, and gained its cult following in worldwide syndication
My mani features Barry M Blood Orange, OPI Can't Find My Czechbook and OPI The It Color and a random black polish.
What I love most about Star Trek is that it embodies one of my favourite quotes (Field of Dreams) - if you build it, they will come. Roddenberry built it, the corporates cancelled it, but in the end, the loyal, LOYAL fans, they came, and boy did they conquer.
Enjoy xx :)